Menu Contents

Danuri, the multicultural family support portal

Home > Residence/Foreigner Support > FAQ

Residence/Foreigner SupportFAQ

This is to inform you about the process of entry, residence and naturalization for marriage immigrants entering South Korea from their country for the first time, and give you some guidance about the unique aspects of Korean life though the counseling center.

  • Of the 217 Multicultural Family Support Centers in operation nationwide, 214 centers  operate in-home (visiting) educational services in which trained instructors are sent to targeted households. Visiting educational services include Korean language education and parental education for marriage immigrants and youth life services for multicultural youths. Please call or visit the Multicultural Family Support Center in your area of residence for more information on visiting education and to register for services. 

    As of October 1, 2014, fees for the use of youth life services must be paid by the recipient, based on the recipient's level of income. For detailed information, please visit your local Multicultural Family Support Center.

    Find the Multicultural Family Support Center nearest you

  • Language development services are provided for free at multicultural centers, local childcare facilities, kindergartens, and elementary schools (etc.) for children of multicultural families ages 12 and under.


    ○ Language Development Assessment

    - Conducting of initial interview of targeted children and their legal guardians (parents, director of childcare services, etc.) 

    - Assessment of child’s language development using appropriate assessment tools

      • Conducting of 2-4 rounds of assessment (assessment period of 40min), adjusted according to the child’s age, development, and individual circumstances

    ○ Language Development Education

    -  Language education classes to improve vocabulary, sentence construction, conversation, communication skills needed in daily life, and reading (etc.) for children assessed as needing language development services  

    -  Implementation of educational services based on child’s individual assessment results

      • Classes held 1-2 times a week; each class is 40min in length

      • Class types: individual classes (1:1), group classes (2 or more students)

         ※ Group classes are comprised of students of similar ages and developmental levels.

    ○ Parental Counseling and Education

    - Parental education and counseling is provided for the parents of children participating in language development services to help parents understand and support their children’s language development

  • Services of the Multicultural Support Center (multicultural family integrated education, job training, counseling, etc.) and in-home educational service, parental education services, and Korean education services are free of charge.

    Fees for youth life services have been in effect since October 1, 2014. 


    Please contact the Multicultural Family Support Center in your area for more detailed information. 

  • You will need to register in order to use services provided by the Multicultural Family Support Center. When registering, you will need to present a certified copy of your alien registration (copy of certificate for marriage immigrants) or your certificate of family relations and a copy of your alien registration card.

  • Children of multicultural families can receive language development support by contacting the multicultural family support in their area of residence. Language development services are provided by language development instructors who hold classes at Multicultural Family Support Centers or outside childcare/educational organizations to teach children of multicultural families age-appropriate language for daily life.

  • Multicultural family centers are city, gun, and gu centers that use government and local funding pursuant to Article 12 of the Multicultural Family Support Act to provide the following types of services to multicultural families.

    ○ Korean education (classroom & in-home): systematic Korean education by level that familiarizes learners with language and culture needed for daily life

    - Target (classroom): marriage immigrants, migrant children (ages 18 and under)

    - Target (in-home): marriage immigrants (who have been in Korea for 5 years or less), migrant children 

    ○ Integrated education for multicultural families (classroom): educational programs to enrich the relationships between multicultural family members and to discuss family culture and roles within the family

    - Educational programs for the enrichment of family relationship categorized by target, etc. Family education, spouses/couples education, parent and child education, multicultural understanding 

    * Family education, spouse/couple education, parent and child education, multicultural understanding education

    ○ Parent educational services (in-home): information services, family counseling, and enrichment education related to childrearing, developmental stages (pregnancy, newborns, infants, children) for marriage immigrants and children under 12, including those from economically challenged regions. 

    ○ Child life services (in-home): support services (reading of school notifications, homework logs, etc.) for multicultural youths (ages 3-12)

    ○ Individual and family counseling, case management (onsite at the center, in-home, and over the phone): stress relief and improvement of self-esteem within multi-cultural families

  • The Danuri Call Center (1577-1366) provides counseling in cooperation with the Korea Bar Association.

    Please call 1577-1366 to make a reservation in advance for these services.

  • Yes. Detailed information regarding childcare services for new users can be obtained through counseling services provided by eup, myeon, and dong community centers in your area of residence.

  • Yes! Call the Danuri Call Center at 1577-1366 and we will connect you with a counselor who speaks your native language who will provide interpretation services between you and the doctor or pharmacist.

    (※ Service languages: Korean, English, Chinese, Vietnamese, Tagalog,  Khmer, Mongolian, Russian, Japanese, Uzbek, Nepali, and Lao)

  • Foreigners must file a change of residence report within 14 days of the official change of residence. Change of residence reports may be made at the city, gun, or gu office or at the immigration office that has jurisdiction over your place of residence. Those who fail to report their change of residence may be subject to fines and/or other penalties.